‘Vigilante’ parents face charges for tying up alleged child sex predator
A Canadian couple who captured a suspected child predator believed to be preying on their teen daughter may face assault charges for their vigilantism, according to reports.
The unidentified parents from Port Alberni, British Columbia, tackled and, with zip ties, hogtied a 28-year-old man who they claim showed up at their home last week to have sex with their 13-year-old daughter.
After restraining the man Thursday, the parents called police and then broadcast the suspect in a Facebook Live video as he lay on their floor, CTV News reported.
“He comes to my house to meet my 13-year-old f–king daughter to f–k her. He wanted to be her first,” the teen’s mother can be heard saying in the video, which was obtained by the news outlet. “We f–king tackled him and zap strapped him and called the police.”
“I’m so glad that I got my daughter’s phone and saw a message she didn’t erase,” the mom continues.
In the clip, the man — whose identity was not immediately released but who the parents said is a family acquaintance — is seen bound by his wrists and ankles.
When cops arrived, they freed the man and took him to a hospital. He has not yet been charged.
Police detained the girl’s mother and stepfather, who were being investigated for criminal charges including assault causing bodily harm and forcible confinement, according to CTV News.
Cpl. Amelia Hayden of the Port Alberni Royal Canadian Mounted Police told the news outlet that the mother had previously notified authorities that the man was trying to visit her underage daughter.
“The police had directed her not to take matters into her own hands, that we were investigating it … She was directed not to make the meet happen,” Hayden said, adding that the suspect had been under investigation since March.
Hayden slammed the parents for their actions.
“Vigilante actions like these are not only illegal and put people in danger, but they also have the potential to compromise the original investigation,” Hayden said. “It hasn’t resolved one issue — it’s caused another and put people in danger, everybody.”
The parents told CTV News that they were left with no other choice.
“I’m kind of disgusted by the system myself, in that she went in begging for help yesterday,” the stepfather said, adding that his wife has “been asking for help from the police for the last six weeks for this and not really anything’s happened. I didn’t know what to do yesterday.”
The couple said they wanted to spread the man’s face over social media.
“At least now, everybody that knows him … they can protect their own kids because they know what’s going on,” the stepfather said. “That’s all that we wanted — was just to be able to protect the kids.”